Search results

1. S

Mild cigars tasting the same.

In my experience, mild cigars wrapped in Connecticut shade tobacco all taste the same. What's up with that? From the Griffin's, to Perdomo Slow Aged, to Perdomo Champagne, to Cusano 18, to Fonseca Vintage, to 5 Vegas Gold to Carlos Torano Casa Torano, to Ashton Classic, to the NUB Connecticut...
  2. S

Questions About Some Cigars

In my continuing exploratory state of cigar buying, I tend to look at the catalogues of the big cigar vendors and websites and such, but there's such a massive selection and they all seem to say the same things about them. So I would just like some input on a few cigars that caught my eye for...
  3. S

The REAL Dog Rocket?

We all know about the Cremosa Cubana, and CI advertises them as great for the price. You know, marketing and what have you. BUT...has anyone tried the Don Brotto? CI - the same vendor that advises Cremosa Cubanas and listed Free Cubas as a "CI Pick" or whatever - literally tells you not to buy...
  4. S

La Flor Dominicana Maduro Cabinet No. 6

I'm wondering if anyone's a fan of these. My B&M keeps 50-cabs of these well stocked, and apparently for good reason. People are all over these like 12-year-olds on YouTube p0rn. They can't keep 'em on the shelves. All the members love 'em. All the employees yoink dibs on a few when they break...
  5. S

Hoyo de Monterrey Hoyo de Tradicion

I went to the B&M to hang out with my friend for a bit and poke at him while he works his awesome new job. I began to browse the humidor for something to smoke, and the Hoyo de Tradicion bands have always caught my eye - I just love how they look, so I asked the guy how they were and he said...
  6. S

H. Upmann Edicion Limitada

Has anybody seen or tried this cigar? The guy from my B&M showed me one, and it looked delicious, and I want to try one. BUT I can't find this bugger anywhere. Is it not out yet, or did I dream seeing that cigar? It has a completely black band with all the features, words and designs gold...
  7. S

Choosing between cigars

How do you guys choose between similar cigars? For my list of future box prospects, I've come to realize that I like the Carlos Toraño Casa Toraño, Cusano 18 Double Connecticut and Perdomo Cabinet Champagne, but I don't know really if I like any of them better than the other. The Cusano was...
  8. S

Sancho Panza: Double Maduro vs. Extra Fuerte

Well today I decided I was going to see for myself which of the Sancho Panzas I like best, because I could really use a go-to cigar that's affordable, and these are more than affordable. Also, there seems to be no consensus on these boards as to which is better. I've had a Double Maduro before...
  9. S

Gonna Meet Rocky Patel

I went into my B&M today to load up on stuff I keep saying I want to try but never get around to. I loaded up a hefty reciept of items, and as I was browsing the humidor the owner walks in (this guy's intense) and asks my name, gives me his, commends my fistful of choices, informs me of various...
  10. S

Partagas Black

I opened up my humidor this evening for something new. Which isn't hard, because I haven't tried most of the cigars I have (thanks to all the BOTLs that made it happen :D). I dug and looked and pondered and compared and thought...and I settled on this oily, black beast. Appearance is very nice...
  11. S

"Taste Revival"

I just finished a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 and it was excellent. But like 10 minutes after I was done I got the gnarliest taste in the back of my mouth - like I just deep-throated the ash end of the thing. I had to gargle with the pickle brine from a jar of hot yellow peppers...the thing came...
  12. S

Sampler Suggestions

Okay, my new humidor should be here in nigh on 2 days. It's big (for me). I need cigars to fill it. Therefore, I'm looking at some mega-samplers from CI for $59.95 or under, but can't really decide since I haven't tried most of those cigars or brands, and I haven't been smoking long enough to...
  13. S

Humidor "Cigar Capacity" and Dimensions

Okay, I need another humidor already (I hate you guys). Thing is, there seems to be a wierd inconsistancy in "cigar capacity" between humidors. I searched here and read everything I could, and I now know the idea that you should buy a humidor with a "count" twice as large as what you need...