Amazing encounter all because of a cigar

Well I work in law enforcement. Today I was working a special event detail for a high school track meet. I decided to start my day with a cigar (Sancho Panza). As I am walking to my assigned post I see an older gentleman standing near my post smoking a cigar. Later determined to be a Cuban Cohiba J We immediately start talking about being a police officer. I quickly learn he is an attorney. I advise him I am graduating from law school in 1.5 months. We then proceed to talk for over an hour about work, life, and family. He knows some great attorneys in the area of law I am interested.

I ask him if he is a maduro man. He states he loves all cigars. I go to my car where I have a humi and grab him a Patel Olde world reserve and an Onyx. He is thankful. We talk about kids a lot. I talk about my son who is 2.5 and sports. We find we have a passion for the same sports. He invites me and my son to be his guest at the upcoming collegiate rugby national championships at Stanford University in May (I am in the bay area). I then meet his younger son who is in high school and by first impression is a amazing young man. His older son plays for the us national rugby team and is an amazing young man also. At the end of this he provides me with his information and tells me to call him.

I can honestly say the bond that was made was a direct result of two guys sharing the enjoyment of a good cigar in the morning. This chance meeting may help me greatly in years to come and regardless was a positive life experience. I don’t think this would have happened had I not chosen to smoke the cigar this morning. As a side note smoking cigars in full uniform is always fun as it really seems to irritate the anti smoking and anti law enforcement crowd.

Got a similar story??
Hope this is the right category to post this

doctorcue

Tatuaje Whore
I don't have a similar story but yours is great. I would like to say *most* all BOTL are good people and can share a bond over our hobby. Often times the hobby leads to new friends (as here on CS) & new experiences. Thanks for sharing!

No1der

SilverBack
Really nice story and it really shows just how deep the BOTL blood really runs.

That's what is great about cigars, they bring people together as well as causing relaxation which leads to great discussions and new friendships.

I love your story and it makes me proud to also be a BOTL.

Cheers,
Rob

Costa

Cohibo Aficionado
Later determined to be a Cuban Cohiba J

Should have told him "sorry, sir, but I am going to have to take you in. What you are smoking there is illegal." :tu

Great story.....

replicant_argent

2X Secret Probation.Bitch
good story.
The part that amazes me most is that you can smoke anywhere near a high school track meet!

I had to read that wrong.......

If you smoked within 500 feet of any school activity in my state they would draw, quarter, tar, feather, and waterboard you.

The Mum

Lowland Gorilla
Yes, That is a good story and that does happen often.
Funny, this morning I also smoked a Sancho Panza.

Very nice story, thanks!
So where in Bay Area you from?
San Jose Area. My B&M of choice is west coast cigars. Usually go a few nights a week after school or get off swing shift.

Should have told him "sorry, sir, but I am going to have to take you in. What you are smoking there is illegal." :tu
Great story.....
Was going to make the joke but that would make me a hypocrite and I cant have that now.

good story.
The part that amazes me most is that you can smoke anywhere near a high school track meet!

As for the smoking near a school event. The event, due to the size, took place on a college campus. Also I was stationed outside the event near the ticket booth. Which is where I like it so I can get paid and enjoy a stick or two while making money. I am not going to say I didnt recieve a comment and some unpleasant looks from people who dont like cigars. That said I was within my legal right to smoke where I was. I am not going to let the pleasure police tell me what to do.

I was telling my wife about just how funny life is. Last night I agreed to work the event today as a favor because of staffing issues. I wanted to spend the morning with my son. I was beat this morning and with starbucks in hand said " I need a cigar ". So because of a favor and the decision to smoke I met a good guy. If I didnt have cigar in hand we still likely would have talked a little, but when he saw my stogie it was an instant brotherhood.

Costa

Cohibo Aficionado
but when he saw my stogie it was an instant brotherhood.

It really is a weird thing about these tubes of dead leaves hanging out of our mouths.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but its always the same. Its why a real "cigar bar" is one of my favorite places.

And good luck with that law career as well.

Got a similar story??
Man great story, mine isnt quite like that but I am in LawEnforcement as well:gn I cant smoke in regular uniform but the capacity im in now 5of us smoke while on raids and surveillance all the time, looks cool:D I hope that meeting between u2yield a great future for your kids. What department do u work for.

gnukfu

Smokin and Jokin
One other thing. Good luck with your bar exam this summer!!!!! :tu

What are of the law are you going to practice in?

OK that's 2 things.

RevSmoke

Evolving Lead Gorilla

If however, you will turn over to my custody the rest of the box, I am willing to overlook the entire incident.

Of course, making a friend and being civil is a much better approach.

Cool story...

68TriShield

no..not THAT Dave!
Brotherhood knows no class or stereotype,its a truly wonderful thing :)

Seeing the sour looks on the faces of the pleasure police is classic! :D

SmokeyJoe

Elder Jungle Leader
What a great story... I have struck up conversation with several very impressive and engaging folks because of a cigar. There does seem to be an instant brotherhood with other "lovers of the leaf." :ss

One other thing. Good luck with your bar exam this summer!!!!! :tu

What are of the law are you going to practice in?

OK that's 2 things.

Thanks, but I am actually taking the bar in February because we just had a little girl 2 months ago and with everything I dont think I will be able to dedicate the appropriate amount of time to bar prep. That said I intend to study from graduation till february drilling like mad to make sure I pass on the first try.

I am technically intrested in three areas estate planning taxation/bankruptcy and entertainment law. The entertainment law area is unlikely as you have to be given a chance by someone connected. I know some people in the gaming industry but that also can be a tough nut to crack.

As for where I work.
I honestly dont like to say. I will say its a small agency and our chief is really easy on us provided we dont give him any issues. :r :ss :r