APO vs. Iraq

FriendlyFire

Alpha Silverback
Hi,

For those shipping to our fellow members in Iraq, Do you know the prices for shipping to APO'S ? is it diffrent from shipping direct to Iraq? How much should I expect to pay for a Piroty box that would cost local $4.60??

akabilly

Young Chimp
Hi,

For those shipping to our fellow members in Iraq, Do you know the prices for shipping to APO'S ? is it diffrent from shipping direct to Iraq? How much should I expect to pay for a Piroty box that would cost local $4.60??

You'll pay the same amount. All your paying for is a domestic package to the military base here in the states. Once it gets there it is up to the military to transport and deliver.

If you attempted to send direct you'll end up paying much much more. The package most likely would not get to its recipient if sent direct to a war zone.:2

hotreds

Support the troops!
I don't know how well the Iraqi postal system works, anyway! If you can use an APO or FPO i/o local mail system, ALWAYS use the APO or FPO!

chenvt

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Hands down use APO. The only risk you run is the "contents" getting inspected there for non legit items. But if it's stogies, you shouldn't have a problem..

taltos

Elder Jungle Leader
If you go on the USPS website, there is a list of prohibited items. Generally anything not allowed by islam is prohibited such as pork products and Bibles.

FriendlyFire

Alpha Silverback
I just ordered a one of these kits,

The U.S. Postal Service introduced a Military Care Kit, or "Mili-kit" in 2004 to make it easier for military families and friends to send care packages to their loved ones stationed overseas. Since the inception of the Military Care Kit, the U.S. Postal Service has shipped more than 150,000 kits. Each kit contains two Priority Mail boxes, six Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes, eight Priority Mail labels, one roll of Priority Mail tape and eight customs forms with envelopes.
1-800-610-8734. There is no charge for the kit.
http://www.usps.com/communications/news/press/2006/pr06_067.htm

FriendlyFire

Alpha Silverback
Re: Sending packages to an APO

Ok, There is allways a first time and I just hit it.

I just got back from the PO. I hope it dosn't travel around the world before it gets to a fellow bolt in Iraq. I just wish I can block him from entering this thread, so when he gets the box he will be suppriesd. I know he knows I'm sending something because I got his APO address,
I was really suppriesd how un expensive shipping to these boys and girls are. (Now the contents of the shippent is a diffrent story.)

newcigarz

CJ's Dad

I was really suppriesd how un expensive shipping to these boys and girls are.

I'm glad you took it upon yourself to ship to one of our fine men and women.
I would not agree to the fact that it is inexpensive though.
What you don't realize is that if the APO is in a 093 zip code you are basically
shipping a box to NY. which for those of us on the East Coast is easier.

My average shipments range from $7.95 - $12.95 per box, and figure that I send @ 9-12 packages a month it adds up. I can use bigger boxes and send more stuff based on the fact that the APO is closer to me.
Now someone like bazookajoe who is in CA. or macms in CO. ships to an 093 APO. He is going to either pay more for the same size package or use a smaller flat rate box that holds less.

I just think that it is important that CS members understand this process :2

lpsto99

Young Ape

Tips to sending ANYTHING to Iraq:
1) Check at your local PO for a specific "flat rate military box" I belive it is 9-10 bux.You can send heavy items, and it will not go over the flat rate
2) Write the address very clearly, the sorting system when it gets here is haphazzard.
3) If there is something valuable, try not to list it on the form, because I have seen boxes get "taken" by accident
4) If sending cigars, a water pillow, or something like that is absolutely required. It gets hot and dry extremely quick.

FriendlyFire

Alpha Silverback

:tu:tu

Tips to sending ANYTHING to Iraq:
1) Check at your local PO for a specific "flat rate military box" I belive it is 9-10 bux.You can send heavy items, and it will not go over the flat rate
2) Write the address very clearly, the sorting system when it gets here is haphazzard.
3) If there is something valuable, try not to list it on the form, because I have seen boxes get "taken" by accident
4) If sending cigars, a water pillow, or something like that is absolutely required. It gets hot and dry extremely quick.

chenvt

Evolving Lead Gorilla

The packages get sent first to NYC then over to the APO. In the case of large numbers of packages for the flights leaving NYC, priority mail gets first dibs.

On my way in and out of Iraq, I sent back my belongings via priority mail and it took about 7 business days. Pretty efficient imo to send packages there when carrying them on the plane would now cost an extra $25 for the first one!

Ok, There is allways a first time and I just hit it.

I just got back from the PO. I hope it dosn't travel around the world before it gets to a fellow bolt in Iraq. I just wish I can block him from entering this thread, so when he gets the box he will be suppriesd. I know he knows I'm sending something because I got his APO address,
I was really suppriesd how un expensive shipping to these boys and girls are. (Now the contents of the shippent is a diffrent story.)

FriendlyFire

Alpha Silverback
I wish I can change the heading of the thread, it dosnt even come in to the subject.

What I meant by saying it so cheap to send packages, Its the first time I ever thoght of doing somthing like that, the point is that you can do so much with so little. I don't even know the person I'm sending it to.
but your %100 right Sending alot of boxes will cost you more and all the support you can get for the troops is needed.

netprophet21

ChestBeater
APO zip codes can also be 091 (mine is). I am still amazed at how cheap and how fast (normally) things get to me in Germany from the states. Thank goodness for my APO box!

-Rob :cb

TikiHut27

Grebo Guru
Definitely use the APO/FPO Flat Rate box. Usually $8.95. Ask for them at the Post Office. If they don't have one, look the clerk directly in the eye and tell them "You are either for Freedom, or against it!" and stalk out without looking back.

icantbejon

Lost...Completely Lost...
That might be some of the best advice I have ever heard. Also, I'd just love to see someone do it.

Definitely use the APO/FPO Flat Rate box. Usually $8.95. Ask for them at the Post Office. If they don't have one, look the clerk directly in the eye and tell them "You are either for Freedom, or against it!" and stalk out without looking back.