Bidding strategies on Auctions

Boston_Dude05

Chestbeating Pack Leader
Just curious as to what your thoughts are as to what the most effective bidding strategies are for auctions on cigars, like on the Devil Site. I see some folks bidding low/early and multiple lots. Then I see high bidders that big over market value. And, also last minute bids etc.. Wondering what the effective techniques are out there. I'm assuming we're all BOTL and might be open to sharing some of these since most of the times we'd be bidding against other folks not on this forum. :dr

Charles

Alpha Silverback
I try to wait until the final seconds before an auction ends to place my bid. Gotta go into each bid knowing what the item is worth and what I can get it for at a discount and never go over that.:)

StogieGuy

Maturing Primate
I bid early on things that I want using auto bid and then don't bid again. If I win fantastic... if not I haven't overpaid.

My experience is if that if you try to jump in at the end you'll find yourself with lots of great deals on cigars you don't really want... which isn't really that great of a deal!

Just my :2

Hydrated

Over-Caffeinated Ferret
I rarely get anything from the Devil Site because so many people bid too high on anything with a recognizable name.

My strategy:
  • Research good prices for the cigars before you bid.
  • Determine the highest price that you want to pay... BEFORE you bid.
  • Place your bid early in the auction... ties go to the earliest bidder.
  • Use the Auto-bid function when you bid with your determined price as the upper limit.
  • Walk away. Do not raise your bid if you're losing. Don't do it. Just walk away!

I usually find that people go insane on auctions. I don't... maybe that's why I don't win very many. But I get a bargain when I do win one.

Bobby

moon

FREE AT LAST
I bid early on things that I want using auto bid and then don't bid again. If I win fantastic... if not I haven't overpaid.

My experience is if that if you try to jump in at the end you'll find yourself with lots of great deals on cigars you don't really want... which isn't really that great of a deal!

I have to agree with SG here. ;)

Rploaded

No longer a community member.
My biggest tip is to AVOID PAYPAL> they took $1890 dollars from my checking account this week by mistake and then locked my account while they review it. Today I got a letter saying my account was locked permenatly for high risk behavior!! Since I did not take the money they did I am being penalized for 180 days when they told me they would release a check!!!! Needless to say my attorney is having much fun with them today! :sb

Oh yeah bidding, I always snipe bid....

billybarue

Luvin' me some Lagavulin
I rarely get anything from the Devil Site because so many people bid too high on anything with a recognizable name.

My strategy:
  • Research good prices for the cigars before you bid.
  • Determine the highest price that you want to pay... BEFORE you bid.
  • Place your bid early in the auction... ties go to the earliest bidder.
  • Use the Auto-bid function when you bid with your determined price as the upper limit.
  • Walk away. Do not raise your bid if you're losing. Don't do it. Just walk away!

I usually find that people go insane on auctions. I don't... maybe that's why I don't win very many. But I get a bargain when I do win one.

Bobby

:tpd: -------- with some additions

[*]Research good prices for the cigars before you bid
to research prices I use:
bid.http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/uploads/cms/comparison_shopper_prices.html

[*]Determine the highest price that you want to pay... BEFORE you bid.

To do this I waste time with the "favorites" category/function on my account and keep an eye on what was the lowest bid to win a certain cigar over the course of a few weeks or so. To further waste time I put that in a spreadsheet to keep track of them. It takes time, but it is a hobby after all, and I buy cigars for the guys at work so I like to get them the best price.

3) Since you know from your spreadsheet what the lowest bid has been, get your bid in early with autobid and forget about it. Since I buy for a lot of guys at work I get the luxury of placing a lot of bids - so it becomes easy to bid on many lots and then just let it ride.

4) You will get the best prices on cigars that have more than 5 in the packaging (ie samplers and boxes). If you want to go with 5-packs you will typically get the best price if there are many lots in the bid (ie 10-15). Quickies typically only have bid lots of 1-2.

5) have your winnings mailed to you once a week so you can conslidate your order and save on shipping.

Cheers,

BillyBarue

steelheaderdu

Master Baiter
bid on the lots you REALLY want early, use auto bid, then step away and come back after the auction closes. You'll save yourself quite a bit of wallet ache if you abide by these guidelines.

Skinsfan

Hail to the Redskins!

:tpd: .

Seanohue

On the sidewalk
If we are talking CBid here, then it is more effective to bid as early as possible so you can lock in your autobid earlier and have it set just a few dollars less than you want to pay. That way, you either save, or some poor sap pays more than retail :D

bilder

Young Ape
I would agree with the others here on bidding early and researching the prices.

I bid early and usaully will bid on all of what they have up. If there are 3 of the RyJ 5 packs up for grabs, I bid on all 3 of them.

Set auto bid to what I want to pay and leave it alone. If I win, great, if I loose, there will be another auction for them up pretty soon.

I get a chuckle out of the guys who bid a box of Sancho Panzas up to 46 bucks when you can get the same box for 35 over at JR's.

burninator

two hour break
I bid early and never raise my bid after that. I also try to find auctions that end late Saturday night. I've won some really cheap cigars, including a couple 5-packs of silencios for less than $15 total, shipped.

tiptone

Evolving Lead Gorilla
I prefer to wait for the last seconds of the auction, then bid the maximum amount I'm willing to pay. No point in driving the price up.

Dmntd
I don't know about the other cigar auction sites but it doesn't help to "snipe" at Cigarbid.com. Auctions end at a certain time or 5 minutes after last bid, so a "snipe" only prolongs the auction for another 5 minutes. Best bet is to bid early on a lot with your max on Autobid and check back after the auction.