Cigar Jar?

CIGma_Chi

Professor of Herfology
Hey folks,

I found a large jar amongst my many knick knacks and figured it would make a decent cigar jar. I've never used a jar as a "humidor" before so I was wondering if anyone out there has tried it. Any tips or tricks? Caveats?

I attached a small round humidification device to the inside of the screw-top so it hangs nicely over my sticks. I lined the bottom of the jar with a few pieces of cedar from boxes and such to impart a little bit of flavor and to help humidity. All I need is a small hygrometer to keep an eye on things.

I haven't filled it yet but I figure it could hold up to 75 pretty nicely, if tightly packed in there. A churchill stands up easily in the middle of the jar just beneath the lid.

Have any of you used other non-conventional modes of storage?

R

RumblePen

Don't make the mistake I did, put a hydrometer in there to test things out. If that jar seals tight, then you could have some trouble with over humidification. I added a silica water pillow to an Upmann jar that sealed air tight and within a day I had beads of water on the cellophane and when I finnally took a reading, it was at 99%. See, if it's air tight, then moving the cigars from a 70% RH humidore directly to the jar should result in a 70% RH in the jar. Atleast that's what happened with my upmanns.

CIGma_Chi

Professor of Herfology
Thanks for the heads up! Good call. I'll be picking up the hygrometer on Monday and testing out the whole set-up for a few days before dropping in the precious cargo. :)

radar

Alpha Silverback
Been using jars for years, have about 8 or 9 of them. I use humitubes with beads for humidity, no problems yet.

floydp

They call me Fwanker
radar said:
Been using jars for years, have about 8 or 9 of them. I use humitubes with beads for humidity, no problems yet.

Same here, I have one sitting on my desk. I keep stogies I smoke while mowing in them. Mr. B's and FDO's. Just cheapo plastic ones from Wally Mart.. I stick a hygrometer in it every once in awhile to make sure its right.

txmatt

Still Smitty's biotch!
The important thing with jars is to Ensure 2 way humidification can occur. IE if you must use a foam type element be sure to have a PG solution and DON'T overfill the foam so it has space to absorb water. Beads are 2 way;they are ideal for a jar. Water pillows and other 1 way humidifications devices will lead to over humidification issues. Also good for jars are the cedar sheets that are placed between layers in some cigar boxes; wrap that around the inside wall of the jar for additional humidity regulation.

-Matt-

radar

Alpha Silverback
txmatt said:
Also good for jars are the cedar sheets that are placed between layers in some cigar boxes; wrap that around the inside wall of the jar for additional humidity regulation.

-Matt-
I do this as well. They're so thin that they are flexible enough to easily wrap and conform to the jar. With the beads in a humitube, I've never had mold in one of my jars. In fact some of the cigars, especially those in cedro, seem to do better in a jar.

CIGma_Chi

Professor of Herfology
All sage and salient advice gentlemen. Many thanks. I'll give them all a try and see what happens. Plenty of cedar sheets lying around so they'll now be dressing up my cigar jar. :)