Dark chocolate trick?

Warren

Gorilla
I was passing through Hot Springs, Arkansas a couple weeks ago and had a cigar at a small place called Churchill's downtown. Anyway, when I bought a RP Edge maduro the lady offered me a small bag of dark chocolate chips. She said that if you eat just one or two chips about halfway through your cigar it opens your palate back up to taste more of the cigars flavors. I was skeptical. I've been smoking several cigars a day for about 10 years and had never heard this. But I gave it a shot and it actually works. She said the trick was to use a dark chocolate with a heavy amount of cocoa, like 85% if you can find it.

Anyway, I haven't posted on the forum much lately so I wanted to share this tip. :tu

Chico57

ChestBeater
I was passing through Hot Springs, Arkansas a couple weeks ago and had a cigar at a small place called Churchill's downtown. Anyway, when I bought a RP Edge maduro the lady offered me a small bag of dark chocolate chips. She said that if you eat just one or two chips about halfway through your cigar it opens your palate back up to taste more of the cigars flavors. I was skeptical. I've been smoking several cigars a day for about 10 years and had never heard this. But I gave it a shot and it actually works. She said the trick was to use a dark chocolate with a heavy amount of cocoa, like 85% if you can find it.

Anyway, I haven't posted on the forum much lately so I wanted to share this tip. :tu

Maybe worth a try, at least once. Thanks for the tip.

I was at an Ashton event where the rep was passing out squares of dark chocolate to cleanse the palette before firing up a new stick.

Shervin

Young Ape

I was at an Ashton event where the rep was passing out squares of dark chocolate to cleanse the palette before firing up a new stick.

What are the chips called??? (Thanks for the tip, BTW!)

boonedoggle

Goal: 1,000,000,000 posts
I've said it time and time again...Chocolate and cigars are a perfect marriage. Try milk chocolate too. It's heaven!

duckmanco

Evolving Lead Gorilla
I often wonder what cleansing the palate really means.... I went to one of the Brazilian Steakhouses and they provided cooked bananas to cleanse the palate between the different meats. I can never tell if it actually works or not. That said, I could definitely see the dark chocolate flavors complementing the flavors of a cigar, but I wonder if in this case, cleansing just means creating a baseline flavor to start a new cigar, while not actually bring the palate back to zero. I bet the chocolate melting on the palate might also create a soothing effect on the mouth in general anyway. I'm giving it a shot.

akabilly

Young Chimp
At Target stores they sell Choxie Chocolate and they have the percentages on the package in big letters, 70% 80% 85%.

JordanWexler

Evolving Lead Gorilla
This seems viable, i mean, when you are testing out scents at a store, they have you cleanse your 'smell palate' if you will by smelling coffee beans -- which i suppose is the most neutral smell? or perhaps strong enough to overpower the other scents....

Fortunate_Son

ChestBeater
Same here, I think the chocolates at my local Ashton event had some mint flavoring as well. There was a sip of scotch involved as well (Taskers?). I don't think it was explained as a way to cleanse the palette, but just as a way to enjoy complementary flavors.

I thoroughly enjoyed the San Cristobal that followed and have been hooked on them ever since but only sometimes do they taste quite as perfect as that first one. I'm going to try this chocolate thing again if I can find some that looks promising, and with some other smokes too.

Thanks for posting this and jogging my memory! :tu

Shabalula

Mariska Hargitay
Dark chocolate is my chocolate of choice. I like the Lindt and Ghirardelli. :dr I'll have to try it with cigars, though.

CaddoMoney

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Awesome tip, Lindt makes a 99% cocoa bar but I wouldn't recommend going that high - 70-80% cocoa should be a great range for palette cleansing.

70rh/70F/70Cocoa :ss