Ethics Question

discdog

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Hey guys, I don't post here much. I subscribe to the read more,post less school. I try not to post unless I have something positive to to add or a legitimate question that I can't find the answer to in the archieves. So here goes the question.

You are looking for a limited production humidor, 500 made. You're having trouble locating one so you go online to ask your BOTL to help locate one for you. Several guys try to no avail but one, a vendor, replys publically and privately that he has two. You call him to inquire and find out that one of the humis is 001/500. Verify this, talk out the details, agree to the terms, credit card info is exchanged and delivery method acknowledged. You hang up the phone thinking the deal is done.

The next day, you recieve a call that 3 hours after your "deal", a local walks into the shop and pays a couple of hundred more than you did and walks out with your humidor.

Finally the question: How can the vendor sell the humi if you already own it?
Or does he have the right to sell it for whatever he can get for it as long as it's in his possession?

Thanks guys, just curious as to what you think.

RJT

Chestbeating Pack Leader
If that is the way it went down it is simply BAD BUSINESS. I would not shop with them again. Sorry you had that happen. RJT

Hydrated

Over-Caffeinated Ferret
Hey guys, I don't post here much. I subscribe to the read more,post less school. I try not to post unless I have something positive to to add or a legitimate question that I can't find the answer to in the archieves. So here goes the question.

You are looking for a limited production humidor, 500 made. You're having trouble locating one so you go online to ask your BOTL to help locate one for you. Several guys try to no avail but one, a vendor, replys publically and privately that he has two. You call him to inquire and find out that one of the humis is 001/500. Verify this, talk out the details, agree to the terms, credit card info is exchanged and delivery method acknowledged. You hang up the phone thinking the deal is done.

The next day, you recieve a call that 3 hours after your "deal", a local walks into the shop and pays a couple of hundred more than you did and walks out with your humidor.

Finally the question: How can the vendor sell the humi if you already own it?
Or does he have the right to sell it for whatever he can get for it as long as it's in his possession?

Thanks guys, just curious as to what you think.
That is a "not cool" move on the seller's part. I'd sure like to hear that vendor's defense for screwing you... especially if he's a member here.

n3uka

Say no to curried goat!
If that is the case, it is very bad business.

I am sure it will cost him much more in the long run.:sl

BeagleOne

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Once the transaction is made, then the product is your's. Sounds a bit of a Bait and Switch tactic which is, if I am not mistaken, illegal.

palm55

Chestbeating Pack Leader
Sorry to hear this, man!! In fact, THIS (the ethical consideration) is what I honestly believe has been lacking in the way folks do business!

After all is said and done, however, "What goes around comes around." Short-term gain will be overpowered by long-term customer satisfaction.

PERIOD!!!!!

TU09

Lowland Gorilla
That is a "not cool" move on the seller's part. I'd sure like to hear that vendor's defense for screwing you... especially if he's a member here.
:tpd:

Personally, I'd like to know which vendor it was (assuming it is of the NC variety) so I have the info to make an informed decision the next time I purchase such products.

discdog

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Well unfortunately he is. And this just happened two days before Christmas. His first contact with me started "had a customer walk in and offer XX more than you did". It sounded to me as he wanted me to raise the price. When I didn't respond as he anticipated, he changed to " he came in and paid more than you did and left with it".
Now I'm torn between calling him out publicly so it doesn't happen to someone else or not saying anything here due to my not knowing his standing in this community.
There are some very familiar names here, and if they should see this & tell me to out this guy I would be more than willing to do so.

RGD

Elder Jungle Leader
As far as I am concerned - once the credit card info was exchanged the humidor was yours. Re-selling the item amounts to a liar and thief in my book. Tar and feather would be too good in this situation - pisses me off, greedy bastard.

Ron

RJT

Chestbeating Pack Leader
Bob, I found the situation you are refering to. I hate this happen too you. I have dealt with the vendor in question many times without a problem. As of matter of fact spoke with him over an hour on the phone one day just shooting the crap.

I read his response and while I dont say it makes it right I "KINDA" understand how and why it happen. He partners in about 3 stores so I can see how this little mess happen. I am not sure how he could and can make it up but if I know him he most likley will try and make it right.

Bob dont think I am taking up with him and dont see your point. I would be mad too.

In life and business it is not how you made the mess its how well you clean it up. I hope for both parties involved all gets worked out. Good Luck, RJT

TU09

Lowland Gorilla
Now I'm torn between calling him out publicly so it doesn't happen to someone else or not saying anything here due to my not knowing his standing in this community.
I'm still a lowly noob but I think it would benefit us all to know what vendor you were dealing with, CS member or not. Maybe it would save somebody else from such an incident. At the same time, it would be to his public credit if we were to see him make things right. :2

discdog

Evolving Lead Gorilla
RJT, I have left out a few things, but nothing that wasn't discussed and agreed upon.

If the guy had just called and said, "there was a screw up and your humi was sold". I would have said," well, mistakes happen, I'm not happy about it, but it wasn't meant to be" and went on. But to give me the impression that if I offered more money, it could still be mine, well that just didn't sit well with me.

So liar and cheat just about sums up my feelings.

floydp

They call me Fwanker
As far as I am concerned - once the credit card info was exchanged the humidor was yours. Re-selling the item amounts to a liar and thief in my book. Tar and feather would be too good in this situation - pisses me off, greedy bastard.

Ron
:tpd: :tpd: Thats farged up. Bad business practice. We're not rich folks but we spend alot on cigars and stuff that goes with it. We would never buy from that establishment again.

RJT

Chestbeating Pack Leader
RGD, I have left out a few things, but nothing that wasn't discussed and agreed upon.

If the guy had just called and said, "there was a screw up and your humi was sold". I would have said," well, mistakes happen, I'm not happy about it, but it wasn't meant to be" and went on. But to give me the impression that if I offered more money, it could still be mine, well that just didn't sit well with me.

So liar and cheat just about sums up my feelings.
OK now I see things a little better....I hope for both of you, he tries to fix this little mess. RJT

Bleedingshrimp

ChestBeater
Despite my noobality in the cigar world, my experience in customer service allows me to say that, with very few exceptions, this is truly a bad business practice. Not in good form at all. :2

discdog

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Well he offered to knock a few bucks off of one of the other boxes, but #1xx wasn't something I was interested in. I already have the 03,04,and 05 models and this is the last year they will probably be offered. If I wait a couple of months, I can get an empty for far less. So my main interest here was the number.
After the way he handled it, I don't want to give him my money, I'd rather deal with someone I trust.

RJT

Chestbeating Pack Leader
Well he offered to knock a few bucks off of one of the other boxes, but #1xx wasn't something I was interested in. I already have the 03,04,and 05 models and this is the last year they will probably be offered. If I wait a couple of months, I can get an empty for far less. So my main interest here was the number.
After the way he handled it, I don't want to give him my money, I'd rather deal with someone I trust.
Let me make a few phone calls to some local b&m that might have one. Unless you were loooking for that # only. Just let me know I will be glad to help. RJT