Evolving or Devolving?

sgoselin

Bull Goose Gorilla
The title says it all. I have been seriously smoking cigars for 40 plus years now and then some. In that time I have been through a few transitions, but not many. A few of you guys probably know me or at least my posts although I have been laying low as of late. I have spent a couple of decades now dedicated to the Havana cigar. Time was when I would not smoke much of any thing that did not come from that Island South Of Miami. I studied the dates and the factories and spent a small fortune on cigars. I usually alocated about $25,000.00 per year on cigars. I layed down vintage Davidoffs and Dunhills and just about anything else one can think of. Especially old Bolivars. So what the f**k happened?

I state without apology that I like what I like. My current favorite cigar is Flor de A. Allones that I get from JR Cigars. I also love El Capitans and Top Hat from Holts. That is what I smoke these days and I love it. My tastes have changed. I think that the 3 cigars that I mentioned rival anything I have ever smoked. Period! Tonight I smoked a Top Hat corona with a scotch and soda on my front porch and I was in heaven. Based on that experience I just ordered several more bundles at $14.95 each. Trust me when I say that finances do not drive my smoking decisions. I can smoke anything I want and I like what I like. I love cigars and I always have. I am enjoying cigars more, right now, then ever.

So I thought that I would throw this out there just to stir the pot a bit.

tallypig

Gorilla
I think you have answered for yourself-at least in some way. "I state without apology that I like what I like." I'm not sure its you going forwards or backwards, but rather what you like right now-especially after a lifetime of chasing down what was important to you at the time. I think the most important thing is that you enjoy the cigars-regardless of their pedigree. Here's to you and another scotch for that matter!

icehog3

Admiral Douche Bag
Interesting, to say the least. But I say "smoke what you like", and if the bundle smokes are what you are liking best right now, smoke them up.

Blowin' Smoke

ChestBeater
I agree, with above post. Smoke what you like! It is very interesting that with a big budget you choose those, but enjoy them!

Major Captain Silly

Poker for the troops
I can say based on your taste, I am going to try all 3 of the brands you mentioned! I don;t this as pot-stirring but some good recommendations for me!

Thanks!

MCS

groogs

Alpha Silverback
I can say based on your taste, I am going to try all 3 of the brands you mentioned! I don;t this as pot-stirring but some good recommendations for me!

Thanks!

MCS
:tpd: If you have that large of a cigar budget and those are the three cigars you are smoking, I am going to have to give them a try. very interesting how your tastes can change over time. As everyone else has stated Smoke what you like.:ss

Texan in Mexico

Lowland Gorilla
The title says it all. I have been seriously smoking cigars for 40 plus years now and then some. In that time I have been through a few transitions, but not many. A few of you guys probably know me or at least my posts although I have been laying low as of late. I have spent a couple of decades now dedicated to the Havana cigar. Time was when I would not smoke much of any thing that did not come from that Island South Of Miami. I studied the dates and the factories and spent a small fortune on cigars. I usually alocated about $25,000.00 per year on cigars. I layed down vintage Davidoffs and Dunhills and just about anything else one can think of. Especially old Bolivars. So what the f**k happened?

I state without apology that I like what I like. My current favorite cigar is Flor de A. Allones that I get from JR Cigars. I also love El Capitans and Top Hat from Holts. That is what I smoke these days and I love it. My tastes have changed. I think that the 3 cigars that I mentioned rival anything I have ever smoked. Period! Tonight I smoked a Top Hat corona with a scotch and soda on my front porch and I was in heaven. Based on that experience I just ordered several more bundles at $14.95 each. Trust me when I say that finances do not drive my smoking decisions. I can smoke anything I want and I like what I like. I love cigars and I always have. I am enjoying cigars more, right now, then ever.

So I thought that I would throw this out there just to stir the pot a bit.

Interesting thread, I have not tried these but am in Miami now so will see if the B&M in front has these tomorrow, if not will pick up some via internet on my next trip - again, smoke what you like and thank you for your thoughts...

TikiHut27

Grebo Guru
Mt opinion is that 90% of the price of a $30 cigar is for bragging rights. I don't care how much a smoke costs, I care about how much I enjoy it. I think you are evolving past the ostentatiousness that is altogether too common in cigar smokers and are now at the point where what matters to you is YOUR enjoyment.

Will_S

Gorilla
Love your post and thanks for the recommendations, definately have to try the top hats and FDAA.

What I like most about your post is that it points up the liklihood that most cigar prices are way out of proportion to any real value provided or cost associated with the product, but instead are based on marketing and what the market will bear. If more experienced cigar smokers were smoking what was actually good instead of what cost more it would be a vastly different market. The only losers would be those smoking high priced sticks for snob appeal.

bobarian

Elder Jungle Leader
Thank you for sharing your experience. I have been delving deeply into the Dark Side for the past 6 months, but one of my go to smokes is the CFO Reserva #7. I am so happy to have found this smoke. It certainly helps me justify(in my mind) some of my ISOM purchases. Keep smoking what you enjoy. In the mean time, the aging process will only make your boxes better!:tu

tzaddi

jardinero de la selva
Your post resonates beyond cigars. You just can't beat Heaven.

I watched "Pal Joey" tonight and I'm in the middle of watching "Young at Heart". It is paused as I write this.

Perhaps it is just me, I am pretty sure it is, but your post speaks volumes.

Thanks.

renton20

Gorilla
Flor de A. Allones
El Capitans
Top Hat

Three sticks that are now going to receive a TON of orders from those of us here. Great post though, as a n00b it is always helpful to hear reflective thoughts such as what you posted, thanks:tu

pinoyman

Alpha Silverback
Flor de A. Allones
El Capitans
Top Hat

Three sticks that are now going to receive a TON of orders from those of us here. Great post though, as a n00b it is always helpful to hear reflective thoughts such as what you posted, thanks:tu

Ummm, links please...

Very nice post!

Flor de A. Allones
El Capitans
Top Hat

:tpd: by the way you have got to be the oldest gorilla I have seen post heresince I have been here. 1997?? wow

Throb

ChestBeater
Flor de A. Allones
El Capitans
Top Hat

Three sticks that are now going to receive a TON of orders from those of us here.

Hope you purchased enough to carry you through 2025...cuz there is gonna be a run on your smokes.

I have had expensive ________ and cheep _______ (fill in the blank). Its all about what you like. Some of the most fun I have had is giving a cigar "snob" a $3 stick and telling him its a cuban that's worth $40. They enjoy it and ask for more. If I was really mean, I'd "get them a deal". I just laugh and tell them, "Its was a one of a kind".

1997...Wow. How the jungle has grown since then.

DZootZuiter

Young Ape
I don't think that there is such a thing as stirring the pot in a place like this. The tie that binds this group is the love of a great cigar, and not necessarily just the love of a few special brands.

sgoselin

Bull Goose Gorilla
Very interesting.

For someone smoking the "finer" smokes, what dynamic caused the initial testing of $1-$2 per stick bundles?

Although I never would have admitted it at the time I believe that I developed a bit of snobbery over the years regarding cigars. I would have defended my choices of cigars with vigor referencing my educated palate and the quality of the cigars that I smoked. However, I also must confess to getting great satisfaction when I handed someone a Davidoff #1 from '88 or when asked what I was smoking and being able to respond that it was a Bolivar CG from '72. I slowly developed an arrogance that precluded simply enjoying a Honduran ERDM or a Dominican Fuente. There was easily a 10 - 12 year period when I smoked only well aged Havana's. In fact folks would constantly give me non-ISOM cigars that I would stash away. I would put them in old Bolivar CG cabinets and bury them in one of my humidors. When I would see a post from a new guy wanting to try different brands I would package up a bunch of them and gift them out. Please be clear that I do not regret any of it. I smoked some truly incredible cigars and I enjoyed every one, but that was then and this is now.

A year or so ago I was headed out shooting and forgot to bring a cigar. Unheard of! There is nothing better then a warm afternoon at the range with a good cigar and a big cup of black coffee. This particular day I had a senior moment and forgot. I found a small store near the range and hoped they had something half way decent to smoke. All they had were some Backwoods flavored cigars. Oh the horror! I bought a pack. To my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed that little rustic smoke. It made me think. Shortly after that a friend gave me a sample pack of robustos, DR and Honduran. I enjoyed every one. Maybe it was jus time for a change or maybe I had been missing something. One of the cigars was a Flor de A. Alones. I went on line and found out that JR sold them. Not only were they reasonably priced, but for every box I bought I would get a free extra box of the smaller #5's. I bought a few boxes of #1's (my favorite now) and a few other sizes. For relatively short money I got a shitload of smokes. On a whim I decided to check out some cheap bundles. I got the Holt's catalog in the mail and bought a bundle each of El Capitan Toros, Top Hat Coronas and one called Oldies but Goodies. I liked them all. Go figure.

I still have a decent stock of well aged Havana's that I can dip into when I want, but I am enjoying trying some different things. Others may or may not like my choices. Those of you who try them do so at your own risk. Taste is subjective to say the least. However, I do know this. There is a lot of hype in the high end cigar market and despite all of our accumulated knowledge we are still susceptible to getting our buttons pushed. Last week I stopped in a shop and bought a Partagas 160 Robusto at $20 + for one stick. It was pretty good, but not $19 better then a Top Hat. JMHO. As I said, taste is subjective. This is not a commentary on what anyone else buys or likes. Hell, if you like it then that is all that counts. This is also not a commentary on why anyone else buys what they do. It is an admission on my part that despite being a long time Lowland Gorilla I was also a cigar snob. I will continue to try different smokes throughout the spectrum of size, country of origin and price points because all else aside I just truly love cigars.

3inst3in

Something Psuedo-Clever
Thanks for sharing, this is a great thread for all to read to keep perspective. At the end of the day you gotta smoke what you enjoy!