Expect the backlash

CigarGal

Waiting for SoCal X
Does this mean I can't smoke in the car while I drive through rush hour traffic and take my kids to MCDonald's for greasy fast food full of chemicals?
 

Baric

Chestbeating Pack Leader
"For everyone else, "stay away from smokers," Carmona said"

Thats given me an ego boost-i feel well hard lol
 

PadronMe

Alpha Silverback
I'm in the minority around here but this doesn't bother me. I don't want to smell someone's stinking cigarette while trying to eat at a restaraunt. However, I do think that banning smoking at adult establishments is stupid.
 

Dogwatch Dale

Herf Castin' Gorilla
PadronMe said:
I'm in the minority around here but this doesn't bother me. I don't want to smell someone's stinking cigarette while trying to eat at a restaraunt. However, I do think that banning smoking at adult establishments is stupid.
With all respect, this should bother you. It's just another incremental step. Next they will want to stop you from smoking in your own home for the same reasons - "it's bad for your kids". Then not even in your own yard because the smoke drifts over to your neighbor's playground. Pretty soon you'll have to be licensed (with a stiff fee) to smoke a legal product and relegated to standing in a communal "smoking hut" in the middle of the city where you can be monitored. Extreme? Maybe, but not far off.
 

PadronMe

Alpha Silverback
Dogwatch Dale said:
With all respect, this should bother you. It's just another incremental step.
I know what you are saying about the incremental steps but it just doesn't bother me. And as far as smoking around kids, if I had them, I definately would not smoke around them. I don't smoke inside or in the car anyway.
 

bpegler

Maturing Primate
PadronMe said:
I know what you are saying about the incremental steps but it just doesn't bother me. And as far as smoking around kids, if I had them, I definately would not smoke around them. I don't smoke inside or in the car anyway.
I don't smoke around my kids, or in my car. I am just not interested in having the government forbid me from doing these things. A little less intrusion into my personal choices would be appreciated. :sb
 

Dogwatch Dale

Herf Castin' Gorilla
That's cool, and I agree - it's your choice not to smoke around kids. Same with me, it's my choice & I don't smoke around the kids either. By the same token, parents have a choice not to take their kids into any establishment that allows smoking. It works both ways. I happily take responsibility for me and my family. I don't need the government to take away some of my rights just because others don't take their own responsibilities seriously.

I also fully support your right to your opinion (and in the end you may be proven "right"). Once the science is really firm (note the article made reference to it but didn't footnote it or point us to it) we'll know for sure. Unfortunately there seems to be no place to go see all the science in one place without the emotion (from both sides) attached.
 

PadronMe

Alpha Silverback
bpegler said:
A little less intrusion into my personal choices would be appreciated. :sb
Isn't smoking around someone who does not smoke intruding on their personal choices? Lots of people want to have their rights but don't respect the rights of others.
 

PadronMe

Alpha Silverback
Dogwatch Dale said:
I don't need the government to take away some of my rights just because others don't take their own responsibilities seriously.
Not following you on this comment
Dogwatch Dale said:
I also fully support your right to your opinion (and in the end you may be proven "right"). Once the science is really firm (note the article made reference to it but didn't footnote it or point us to it) we'll know for sure. Unfortunately there seems to be no place to go see all the science in one place without the emotion (from both sides) attached.
I am not backing any study. I don't think being next to someone, occasionally, will be harmful, I don't want to be around them because they stink.
 

bpegler

Maturing Primate
PadronMe said:
Isn't smoking around someone who does not smoke intruding on their personal choices? Lots of people want to have their rights but don't respect the rights of others.
Actually, I am very thoughtful of others and don't smoke around them, if they don't care for it. The only people who get second-hand smoke from me are my relatives who love drop by my pool where I like to sit and smoke.

I am fine with being respectful, I just don't want to legislate it. More problems occur when governments become too intrusive in the lives of citizens than are generally solved by such laws. We have rights to protect us for good reason.
 

Dogwatch Dale

Herf Castin' Gorilla
bpegler said:
I am fine with being respectful, I just don't want to legislate it.
Thanks for bringing us back to the point. I'm not really trying to change anyone's opinion as to whether 2nd hand smoke is really bad for our health or not. As long as tobacco products are legal to buy and use, the government needn't get involved in telling us how to use it.

As with anything else, the respect for other people should always be considered, just not legislated.
 

CigarGal

Waiting for SoCal X
I am very uncomfortable smoking any where near a public place for fear of offending anyone. It is so difficult to relax and enjoy the smoke that I usually stop-even if no one is around or complaining. The best place is my deck or back porch and I don't have many neighbors so I am lucky. But I feel sorry for those folks in the cities that are banning all smoking...there goes another freedom...the freedom to choose.
 
Top