Gurkha G3 and Triple Ligero - Same Cigar?

macster

ChestBeater
I noticed on Top25.com they only have a review of the Gurkha G3 but in the lower right hand corner of the cigar's description they list as a synonym I guess "triple ligero".

Are these essentially the same cigar with different names?

BTW- with 11 min. left bit the bullet and nailed the Joe's Daily Special for today (9/11) which was the Triple Ligero - 10 for $29.99 + of course the free shipping. I've only had one of those so far, but loved it.

Couldn't resist! :ss

petewho

Man O' Gar
I first had a G3 at a Gurkha tasting (it instantly became one of my favorite cigars, and one of only three Gurkhas I like). The rep told me it is "a triple ligero cigar" but is clearly banded as a G3. I have been meaning to try the one banded as Triple Ligero to see if they taste similar.

I too have been curious about the same question. I hope someone on the forum has some insight.

Although with Gurkha having SO MANY lines of cigars...... :hn

bobarian

Elder Jungle Leader
Two different smokes. The G3 has a ligero filler, Cameroon binder with a Nic maduro wrapper. The Triple ligero is ligero filler/binder with a Brazilian Maduro wrappe. Similar, but the Triple is a bit stronger and seems to age better. The G3's are good fresh.

macster

ChestBeater
Two different smokes. The G3 has a ligero filler, Cameroon binder with a Nic maduro wrapper. The Triple ligero is ligero filler/binder with a Brazilian Maduro wrappe. Similar, but the Triple is a bit stronger and seems to age better. The G3's are good fresh.
Great info - thanks!!

Although I absolutely love the Triple Ligeros I'll have to try the G3's for comparison (a convenient excuse to buy more cigars!!) :D

Mullet

ChestBeater
Unless you're familiar with the Gurkha brand, it's hard to get a feel for the "family tree" of their cigars.

The "g3" is inferior to the "triple ligero" blend. Of course, smoke what you like, but that being said...the triple ligero is supposed to be a much better cigar than the g3.

beernut

Maturing Primate
Huh... that's interesting. I had always been under the impression that the G3 and Triple Ligero were the same cigar, mostly due to the fact that Cigars International had told me so in a correspondance several years ago. It seems they were mistaken.

Though I'm starting to wonder if some of these blends have been changed over the years, maybe when the K. Hansotia line's names and bands changed. In addition to the above mentioned misconception, I could have sworn that I'd previously read that the Triple Ligero and Doble Maduro used the same wrapper leaf. But they're now listed as having a Brazilian, and Costa Rican respectively. If anyone has any input on any of this, I'd like to hear it.

Sisyphys

Young Ape
Weird this thread would pop up this weekend. I was digging in the bottom of one of humidors and stumbled across a fiver of Triple Ligeros that I won off CBID months ago. I've never been a big fan of Gurkhas and I thought I had gifted all of the ones I had.

So I shrugged my shoulders and fired it up and was more than pleasantly surprised. This is a really good smoke. Still dislike Gurkha as a general rule (seriously, who needs that many lines with names I can't place into any pattern), but I have at least found a Gurkha that I like.

Scimmia

Unknown Specimen
I've been told that the Triple Ligero X3 is the European version of the G3. I've said it many times, too, this is just about the only Gurkha that I like.

duhman

Sea monkey
I like the G3 better. I just smoked one last night that was sooo good. Still one of my favorite cigars.

boonedoggle

Goal: 1,000,000,000 posts
Unless you're familiar with the Gurkha brand, it's hard to get a feel for the "family tree" of their cigars.

The "g3" is inferior to the "triple ligero" blend. Of course, smoke what you like, but that being said...the triple ligero is supposed to be a much better cigar than the g3.
I completely agree. I have had a G3, and it was foul to me. I love the Triple Ligero.