***How long till bloom forms***

King Leonidas

Mustard & Biscuits
Was wondering about "bloom" the white powdery substance that forms on aging cigars.I have a few that have been aging for a couple of years now & can only slightly see some developing.Temp and or humidity the problem maybe?:confused::confused: Box is at 62-65 rh & cello's are off.

SilverFox

Seven Down 33 to Go
Was wondering about "bloom" the white powdery substance that forms on aging cigars.I have a few that have been aging for a couple of years now & can only slightly see some developing.Temp and or humidity the problem maybe?:confused::confused: Box is at 62-65 rh & cello's are off.

Bloom or plume is easy enough to identify under a magnifying glass or on a good closeup look it is a powdery substance that under magnification will look crystal like where as mold has spores or hair on it.

Plume will distribute evenly whereas mold is typically sporadic, under good circumstances and time (2 years is reasonable) you will see bloom on sticks. Typically bloom will only be on surfaces that are not touching something else as this is the oil coming out of the cigar and crystalizing, if the stick is touching a cedar box or another stick the oils may be absorbed.

Bloom does not "grow" (not the right word but you get the meaning) in clumps like mold.

Here is a picture of bloom.

pnoon

Shack Herf IV - WOW!
Bloom or plume is easy enough to identify under a magnifying glass or on a good closeup look it is a powdery substance that under magnification will look crystal like where as mold has spores or hair on it.

Plume will distribute evenly whereas mold is typically sporadic, under good circumstances and time (2 years is reasonable) you will see bloom on sticks. Typically bloom will only be on surfaces that are not touching something else as this is the oil coming out of the cigar and crystalizing, if the stick is touching a cedar box or another stick the oils may be absorbed.

Bloom does not "grow" (not the right word but you get the meaning) in clumps like mold.

:confused:
I agree with everything that you wrote, Shawn. But what I see in the picture I would argue is not bloom/plume.
What you posted "Plume will distribute evenly " is definitely not what is illustrated.
:2

pnoon

Shack Herf IV - WOW!
So if i have my sticks naked sitting on the bottom of my humi chances are the "plume" may not develop.:mn

Maybe yes. Maybe no. But, personally, I think plume is overrated. I don't think it makes a cigar taste any better. Just an indication that it has been stored well.

JordanWexler

Evolving Lead Gorilla
I agree with everything that you wrote, Shawn. But what I see in the picture I would argue is not bloom/plume.
What you posted "Plume will distribute evenly " is definitely not what is illustrated.

Well, yea it is actually pretty even.
Mold is EVEN more sporadic, like could be one towards one end of the cigar, and another plume 2 inches down. And it is often (but not always) colors instead of just white.

Last edited:

Boss Hogg

Maturing Primate

I'm not so sure about this being bloom ... it looks like mold. I have had a lot of this on my cigars and it definitely wasn't bloom. However I know pics can be deceiving.

NCRadioMan

More cigars Sanchez!

:tpd: That is not plume. Plume looks like the stick has sat around and looks like it's covered in fine dust. I have cigars that have developed plume in a year and some aged cigars (8-10 years) that don't have it.

RUJohnny99

Gorilla
That may be plume on sticks that have been in a box, where the cigars above it absorbed the oils. If you notice, the dusty stuff on the side is almost in a straight line.
Had they been in the open they would be completely covered.

With that picture you can't really tell if it has that "sparkly" quality to it that indicates plume. Another way I've found to tell whether it (was) plume is to apply a bit of heat, like a lightbulb or a lighter from about a foot away. Plume tends to melt away back into the wrapper. Mold doesn't.

Corona Gigante

Ann Coulter's Cabana Boy
Plume is very difficult to photograph, mold is easy. All the photos in this thread look like mold to me.

Now this is what I think of when we talk about "plume". :dr

A very much greater authority than myself has written that "plume has no correlation with cigar age... The most current theory is that plume is caused by sudden condensation of volatile oils surrounding the cigar due to sudden fluctuations of ambient temperature or humidity."

Mold is no biggie, either, so long as it hasn't got into the foot of the cigar. Just wipe it off with a barely damp cloth, allow the wrapper to dry, and either smoke it or drop it back into your humi.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

Uncle Arnie
I have a few with plume on them. The key to bloom, at least for me is:
1) a nice dark, oily wrapper
2) good temp, RH control
and the most important IMO
3) let your sticks rest, stop with the Tetris and let them alone.

Again, this is just what I have seen in my own humi's.

gnukfu

Smokin and Jokin

This pic doesn't do it justice but this is from a 10 year old cigar I smoked last night. It was evenly coated with fairy dust.

casadooley

Snorking for Vanilla
Plume is very difficult to photograph, mold is easy. All the photos in this thread look like mold to me.

Now this is what I think of when we talk about "plume". :dr

This is from a box of Ashton VSG Asion Market Selection I have resting, all covered in a fine white vail. I have others, but this photo'ed the best.:ss