Humidor Concerns.

MyMonkey

Young Ape
Hello all. This is my first post. I have been in to cigars for many years. I have had a humidor for probably 10 years now. It was a gift. My concern is that the seal is bad around the metal hydrometer in the front of the humidor. It has a glass top with the hydrometer in the front panel of the humidor. The hydro does not work actually. (It rubs the plastic cover and sticks in place) I use a digital hydro because of this. My question is whether it would be worthwhile to try and seal around the hydro in the face? If so, what can I use?

I have provided a pick of a very similar humidor.

BTW: Thanks to the research I have done on this forum. I have decided to purchase the humidity beads at 65%. I was using the Cigar savor and I think it has gone bad.

screwbag

Lowland Gorilla
check someplace like rockler or other woodworking hobby shop...should be easy to find a small stylish clock to put in it's place. there should be a small rubberised gasket that will help seal around the clock...if not home depot for like .25 cents

TU09

Lowland Gorilla
As great as a custom insert would be, it would likely be a bit expensive and the fit might be problematic. Perhaps remove the hydrometer and reinstall it with a bead of silicone where the hydro meets the humidoor. I don't think the silicone would have any negative impact on the flavor or other aspects of your sticks but I don't know for certain so proceed with caution. You could also replace the hydro with a working one or, as suggested previously, a clock. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out. :)

Blaylock

Elder Jungle Leader
I have a similar humidor. I replaced it with a new hygro., as mentioned. It is 2" and comes with a rubber gasket. I think I got it from Premiumhumidors for about $8.00.

Ashcan Bill

West Coast Gorilla
One of my humidors has a front mount hygrometer that I sealed with a bead of silicone. The hygrometer itself is pretty worthless, but sealing it completely solved the issue of humidity leaking out. The silicone never had any impact on my cigars, although I did empty the humidor for a few days after applying the silicone.

If I ever decide to remove the hygrometer, I'd probably try to find a nice looking brass plate and silicone it in place.

MyMonkey

Young Ape
Thank you for all the suggestions. I had already considered the silicone sealant method. It is allegedly inert material and should not affect anything. (presumption here) I will try that method first. Thanks for the input. In the event it does not work I will likely just replace this one, or use it for show. :cb

RGD

Elder Jungle Leader
Thank you for all the suggestions. I had already considered the silicone sealant method. It is allegedly inert material and should not affect anything. (presumption here) I will try that method first. Thanks for the input. In the event it does not work I will likely just replace this one, or use it for show. :cb
Personally I would use a latex sealant instead of silicone. You should be able to find it in a clear base.

Ron

MyMonkey

Young Ape
Darn, Latex was a good idea. Too late though. I already sealed it up. I used GE Silicone I. (The most inert according to Fish keepers) I took pics while performing the surgery:

First, the humidor on the workbench.

Next, we have the silicone sealant:

Next is the problem area. I think the seal was ok. I just wanted to ensure it was air tight.

A small bead near the base should suffice. We shall see I suppose. :dr

Lastly, we have my tiny collection of cigars waiting to go back into the Humidor. Everything should be dry and ready to go in 24 hours or so.