Humidor not keeping RH up.

dae06

Young Chimp
I am using 65% humidification beads in my humi. Last week I noticed the RH was at 60%. I added distilled water to the beads thinking the were drying out (which they didn't look bad), and checked it 2 days later and the same thing 60% RH.What can be causing this? Do I need to season my humi again because it is too dried out? I have a digital and analog Hygrometer (salt calibrated) so I believe the reading is correct.:confused:

dae06

Young Chimp
Your humi might have a bad seal.
I believe the Humi seals pretty good. I do the "drop the cover" test and it stops on a cushion of air and then closes completely. Before I seasoned it, I was a little concerned because I had too tight of a fit, but after seasoning it seemed to close perfectly.

How else can I tell if it's a bad seal?:confused:

shilala

Elder Jungle Leader
To find out what's up, check your beads.
You can do that by putting your beads in a gallon ziplock bag with your hygro.
Wait three or four hours and check the hygro (without opening the bag).
If they read 65% in the ziplock, and 60% in your humi, then the water vapor is going somewhere. It could be that it's being absorbed by the humi, or it's being absorbed by the cigars.
You didn't mention how many cigars are in the humi or what the RH is in the room where the humi sits. That's important info.
You also didn't mention how long ago you calibrated your hygrometer.

By testing the beads in the ziplock, you'll get some answers.
Let us know what happens.

ucla695

ChestBeating Bruin!
How do the sticks feel? How are they smoking? If they feel fine, then I wouldn't worry about it too much (I keep mine between 62-65% Rh). If they feel on the dry side for your tastes then I would recalibrate your hygrometer and see where that takes you. If it's still too low, then I'd suggest you re-season your humi. I hope this helps.

stfoley

ChestBeater
I just throw 5 more 50-100ct humidifiers in there....if htey don't do anything, then re-season the humidor.

Moro

ChestBeater
I believe the Humi seals pretty good. I do the "drop the cover" test and it stops on a cushion of air and then closes completely. Before I seasoned it, I was a little concerned because I had too tight of a fit, but after seasoning it seemed to close perfectly.

How else can I tell if it's a bad seal?:confused:
Ye can turn off the lights of the room and place a lit flashlight inside the humi and close the lid. If ye can see light, there's the answer.

Kaisersozei

Evolving Lead Gorilla
You didn't mention how many cigars are in the humi or what the RH is in the room where the humi sits. That's important info.
You also didn't mention how long ago you calibrated your hygrometer.
:tpd:

I've found that the closer your humidor is to capacity, the easier it is to maintain proper RH. :2