Nub Conneticut

Texan in Mexico

Lowland Gorilla
Im in Miami for some meetings and after today’s meetings I hit the B&M (Sabor Havana) which is right in front of the hotel and light up a Padron Aniversario and start talking to some of the guys in there on their lunch break.

We talk about our favorite sticks and work and one of the guys mentions the Nub, I tell him I have never smoked one mostly because of some of the reviews I have read – turns out one of them works with the Oliva brothers and he told me it is a good stick that has gotten a bad wrap so walking out I pick up a couple, the Cameroon (5.95$) and the Connecticut (4.75$).

Back in the hotel there is a Ninja Warrior marathon on the G4 network so what am I supposed to do?

That’s right! Fire up the Connecticut version.

Most of you know what they look like – it’s a big squatty stick that has a nice wrapper, full of tobacco and well wrapped with some veins but in general with a nice sheen, firm to the touch – overall very solid and, yes, it does smell like a cigar.

Clean cut with my Simplified Palio and a very easy initial draw.

I felt like I used up half the gas in my new little Vertigo lighter but it is lit and initial taste is somewhat harsh. Remember, I just bought this so it has been sitting for approximately 30 minutes, ha ha.

After a couple puffs it settles down and has a nice tobacco taste.

Contrary to popular reports – the smoke in Miami is not from my recreational smoking visit, the Everglades are on fire – it is real bad here, looks like fog that does not lift. Thankfully there has been some rain so I hope that helps out.

Back to the review:

First third –

After the initial harshness the cigar is very smooth, I would call it a mild at this point, not unlike other Connecticuts. Burn is very even, no running, nice clean burn. It is going to sound odd but it tasted like popcorn?? I know this is odd but true.

One of my goals was to get that money shot of the completed stick standing on its end but the ash fell off after about an ¾ of an inch.

Second third –

Flavor stays smooth – typical Connecticut flavors, very smooth.

Last third –

At the beginning of this third there was a light nutty taste mixed in with the popcorn.

The ash held true to the very end. No splitting of the wrapper as some have had.

My preconception was that this was a gimmiky stick but it is a true cigar and I look forward to trying some of the others – will pick up a couple more of the other varieties.

I will not buy a box of these at the moment, that is for sure but it was a nice smoke. I hope to have some time to post a review of the Cameroon later.

uncballzer

aka Silky
I just got my 354 connecticut in the mail today. Couldn't wait so I went ahead and lit it up. I'm about 1/2 way through it and it's not even been 30minutes yet. Great draw, nice construction, ash of about an inch or so right now, but the taste is lacking on my end here.

Texan in Mexico

Lowland Gorilla
I just got my 354 connecticut in the mail today. Couldn't wait so I went ahead and lit it up. I'm about 1/2 way through it and it's not even been 30minutes yet. Great draw, nice construction, ash of about an inch or so right now, but the taste is lacking on my end here.
I hear you, I dont smoke alot of Connies so I did not want to be overly critical of the cigar. It was bland but again I need to smoke another couple to give it a real critique.

uncballzer

aka Silky
Just finished mine a little while ago. It got a little harsh/bitter about half way through. Once ashed, it went downhill from there just trying to keep it lit. Overall, not very satisfying on the first smoke. I've got 4 more + five of each of the other wrappers to make a decision on.