Online Retailer Customer Service

Rob

Young Ape
I have had my eye on a new humidor for some time now. I had a very specific type/size in mind. I found a 150 ct. box online at a reasonable price but for some reason I hesitated. Last week the one I was eyeing was on sale for 25% off so I pulled the trigger – ordering on their web site. The transaction progressed as I expected – I received an email confirmation which linked to a Fed-Ex tracking number.

Being rather eager to receive my new toy – I noted the day Fed-Ex was scheduled to deliver to my house. Before I went to lunch on the day of delivery I checked and sure enough – Fed-Ex says they left it on my front porch. So I went home at lunch. I found a box on my doorstep that measured 6” x 6” x 4”. My first thought is “boy if it fits in this box I’m going to be hacked”

I open the box to find a packing slip with someone else’s name and address on it. The best I can tell is that my shipping label and this other guys got reversed.

I immediately called the company and reported the problem. The gentleman I spoke to on the phone said he would look into it and call me back. That was Wednesday at noon. Today at 4:30 I got a phone call from the company stating that they have been unable to reach the other party about the messed up order. If they are unable to reach the party by Monday they will ship another humidor to me.

The humidor I ordered was a “second” so it was probably a low margin order for the company. That said I’m still disappointed in their customer service. I have been very polite on the phone with them considering the circumstances and they have done nothing to rectify the situation so far.

If this was my company I would have shipped a replacement overnight to my customer. As to the order I received I would have either said keep (it isn’t real valuable) it or sent a shipping tag for the return shipping. Am I expecting too much or is this what we should expect to deal with in the on-line shopping era?

kansashat

What would Skeeter do?
I've been waiting since August 12th for a replacement (warranty) compressor from Sears. We have one of those big Kenmore Trio fridges. We've had to take this issue to the "Escalation Dept." at Sears. Supposedly, the compressor is supposed to be at the appliance repair location by Tuesday next week at the latest.

My wife loves Kenmore appliances & I recently told her that we'd buy Kenmore over my dead body in the future.

I feel your pain.

morefifemusicanyone

I love factory seconds!
+10 billion.

I have found Cigars International and Newegg.com to be two of the best for online customer service. I always look into customer reviews before buying from an online company (and I read the return policy).

Just my :2, but I would call and demand an overnight replacement immediately. Tell them they can let you keep the wrong item or send a label for it. Chances are you will get an average joe on the phone who will tell you no. Ask to speak to a manager. If the manager says they can't do that, tell them you want a refund and to be mailed a shipping label for the wrong item they sent you if they want it back. If they don't roll over when you threaten a refund, then go through with it and order from someone else.

The key is, you have to be willing to get the humi from somewhere else or a different humi if need be. Chances are unless they are idiots though that the manager will roll to what you want.

At the VERY LEAST, they should have shipped a replacement standard shipping immediately with a return label for the wrong item. I would guess they are going to try to BS you about sending your package to the other customer and him/her sending the package he/she got to you. What bull!

Hopefully it works out for you, otherwise the company is :BS

icehog3

Admiral Douche Bag
I've been waiting since August 12th for a replacement (warranty) compressor from Sears. We have one of those big Kenmore Trio fridges. We've had to take this issue to the "Escalation Dept." at Sears. Supposedly, the compressor is supposed to be at the appliance repair location by Tuesday next week at the latest.

My wife loves Kenmore appliances & I recently told her that we'd buy Kenmore over my dead body in the future.

I feel your pain.

Remember when Sears used to lead by example regarding customer service? That seems like ages ago, they seem to have fallen to the bottom of the ladder.

orca99usa

Gorilla
If you want the company who made "customer service" the ultimate oxymoron, buy something from Kitchen Aid. I have a horror story that will make you cringe - and it involved two different major appliances (we redid our whole kitchen in Kitchen Aid - MAJOR mistake).

wshan

Young Ape
If you want the company who made "customer service" the ultimate oxymoron, buy something from Kitchen Aid. I have a horror story that will make you cringe - and it involved two different major appliances (we redid our whole kitchen in Kitchen Aid - MAJOR mistake).

haha I think I remember this from the zook forum. I thought they took care of it at the end?

I had a problem with Brandsmart where I returned a big screen tv for exchange and as the guy took it out of my vehicle he scratches the screen. They basically told me that I did it because I loaded the tv screen side down when I brought it in. I had both the dock manager and the customer service manager arguing with me. I finally told them to get the surveillance video and it shows the guy pulling the tv out of my car screen side up and scratching it on the suv rear door. He insists that the angle was bad and he couldn't be sure the screen was up or down. I can tell he knew he was wrong but he was too stubborn to admit it because of his earlier actions and words. At that point (about 3 hours of arguing already) I almost jumped over the counter and killed him. He took the return back docking me $300 for the scratch. I took it because I was too tired of arguing and just called their corporate in south florida and my credit card company to dispute everything. Took another week before I got my $300 back. Stupid thing was I wanted to exchange it for a larger higher end model tv.

kwoody

ChestBeater

I feel your pain.

I hate to Hijack, but these may help you:

http://consumerist.com/consumer/executive-customer-service/email-the-ceo-of-sears-301019.php

The current email address for Aylwin B. Lewis, President & Chief Executive Officer of Sears, is alewis1@searshc.com.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/phone-numbers/contact-sears-executive-customer-service-258858.php

Call (847) 286-2500. Say, "Mr. Lewis' office, please." Or, "Mr Crowley's office, please."
Aylwin B. Lewis (pictured), President & Chief Executive Officer
William C. Crowley, Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer
If it's after hours press *411, then spell the last name of Lewis or Crowley, and leave a message with your complaint and a callback number.

mugwump

Gorilla
That's a drag and is certainly one of the down sides of online shopping. Hopefully they'll make it right.

But the big question is what was in the other guy's package? Inquiring minds want to know!

Padron42

Gorilla
+10 billion.

I have found Cigars International and Newegg.com to be two of the best for online customer service. I always look into customer reviews before buying from an online company (and I read the return policy).

Just my :2, but I would call and demand an overnight replacement immediately. Tell them they can let you keep the wrong item or send a label for it. Chances are you will get an average joe on the phone who will tell you no. Ask to speak to a manager. If the manager says they can't do that, tell them you want a refund and to be mailed a shipping label for the wrong item they sent you if they want it back. If they don't roll over when you threaten a refund, then go through with it and order from someone else.

The key is, you have to be willing to get the humi from somewhere else or a different humi if need be. Chances are unless they are idiots though that the manager will roll to what you want.

At the VERY LEAST, they should have shipped a replacement standard shipping immediately with a return label for the wrong item. I would guess they are going to try to BS you about sending your package to the other customer and him/her sending the package he/she got to you. What bull!

Hopefully it works out for you, otherwise the company is :BS

That's a great post. I agree exactly with that advice about the phone call.