Perdomo Lot 23 Belicoso Maduro

Kmachine

Young Ape
My first review! The devil site forced me to buy a fiver of these and I had to give one a try. My first cigar ever was a natural lot 23 robusto and I enjoyed it, not really knowing what to expect. Over the last 6 months my tastes have developed into knowing what I like or don't. I think I'm more into fuller, more complex cigars but this maduro version was new for me and I had to try it.

Overall, it looks like a very tasty cigar. Nice dark maduro wrapper, great shape, looks like I could take a bite out of it.

Started off by clipping just the tip to reveal a nice tabacco aroma and plenty of draw. On lighting I got a mild woody, leathery, almost sweet taste with lots of white smoke.

This maintained through the first 1/2 with an even burn. The semi-easy draw was refreshing after an earlier plugged Oliva O maduro which I almost blew an artery trying to finish. I matched this cigar with a Guiness Extra Stout (not my usual mainstream drink) and it worked out pretty well. The beer and cigar matched strengths and was able to enjoy both.

Got a little spice in the last 1/3 with the same semi-sweet leather and tabacco with a touch of cocoa. My palate is evolving so I can't pick up all the nuances, but I was surprised at the consistant burn and flavor.

Towards the end it got a little spicier/hot, but that was probably due to the fact of being ~40 degrees out and me wanting to get back inside! As an added bonus I happened to witness the tail end of the Geminids meteor shower and it was pretty cool with some fairly constant action.

In summary I would rate this a solid 7.5 out of 10, with value being the main attribute. A mild-medium strength cigar with great consistant flavor, construction and burn. Total burn time was just under an hour with a hasty exit back into the house to warm up! Looking forward to revisit the remaining 4 in a more relaxing, warmer environment.

TripleF

Elder Jungle Leader
Definitely a tastey smoke!!!

Good review....how come only a 7.5 judge? According to your review I thought it was destined for a high 8 or a low 9 score.

Kmachine

Young Ape
You're right. Now that I think about it, it should be rated higher than your average 'ok' cigar. On the CA scale I would give it an 88. Definate bang for your buck stick.

zmancbr

Fuente Whore
Just picked up a 5er from that site also...they made me buy em lol. I am really looking forward into trying one now. Thx for the review!

Boobar

Gorilla
Thanks for the review

I just recently smoked a couple of the natural Lot 23 belicoso's and I wasn't really that impressed. I may have to try out the maduro and see if that is more up my alley.

comet3

Young Ape
Thanks for the review

I just recently smoked a couple of the natural Lot 23 belicoso's and I wasn't really that impressed. I may have to try out the maduro and see if that is more up my alley.
Great Review!! Im a big fan of the naturals, Im not sure why but I dont like the maduro wrappers on these at all? These seem totally different, opinions?:confused:

Iceman

Maturing Primate
Good review. I just had my first Lot 23 Maddy last night. Mine was a robusto. Great cigar. You know you are smoking a maduro with this one.

Pyro

Young Ape
...Im a big fan of the naturals, Im not sure why but I dont like the maduro wrappers on these at all? These seem totally different, opinions?:confused:
I also think the naturals are very good! I have heard from several people over here that they find the maduro version bland! Maybe some inconcistency issue?

On the other hand I always prefer cigars with natural (EMS) wrappers nowadays since I find them spicier, more complex and more dynamic compared to maduro versions!

comet3

Young Ape
I also think the naturals are very good! I have heard from several people over here that they find the maduro version bland! Maybe some inconcistency issue?

On the other hand I always prefer cigars with natural (EMS) wrappers nowadays since I find them spicier, more complex and more dynamic compared to maduro versions!
I agree 100%, I've had a couple of the maduro versions of the Lot 23 and they just don't compare. The natural is one of my go to smokes, shows how much the wrapper can change a cigar..:ss