review on "OLIVA seris G"

HeadRush2112

Young Ape
This is my first review so here we go.

actually it was my first trade.

I spotted a "Oliva series G" From my brothers humi. It caught my eye right away. It even had me thinking I'm gonna stop at the B&M and get one for home. well it turns out my bro hooked me up. All I had to do was give him my "Rocky Patel 99 Connecticut" so my first trade was done like that.pretty easy.

well later that night around 10:pM I went down to the basement where I have installed a vent that sucks out all the smoke out side and keeps the basement smelling pretty nice here's a pic. of the fan.

I lit the stick smoked it for about 15 Min's and noticed it had a bad smell and taste to it. to the point where I was not enjoying my experience at all. So I tried to stick it out for another 10 Min's or but failed I had to put it out. here's where I left off at.

I couldn't tolerate it anymore. I didn't like it. It looked great to smoke but in the end it was a failure. I will most likely never smoke that one again. to me it was too much to dark. I like them light and mild. So there you have it my review. HR

bbaug14

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Nice review. Can't say agree with you on the smoke, as I love them, but it's always good to get someone else's perspective as well.

Also, in the future, you may want to post reviews of cigars you smoke in the Cigar Reviews section. It just keeps things nice and neat around here when using the search function in the future.

JaKaAch

HopenchangeHopenchange
Thanks for the review. Might have been one of the isolated "bad" cigars. It happens to almost every brand or line of cigars. It could also be you just don't like the "G". A lot of CS members like the "G".
Don't give up on them totally, give them another try a few months down road, your tatse will change.

Check out and search the review forum. Read through some of the reviews there to help find some smokes that you might like. :tu

Poriggity

I love Pepin & Tatuaje
Yup. I love these smokes. Sounds like you just got a bad one :D I echo the thoughts of the first reply, and next time, the reviews section might be a little more appropriate.
Scott

DennisP

Lowland Gorilla
Wow, never thought of the G being to heavy. It's my favorite Mild-Medium bodied cigar. Maybe you got a dud.

ragin' cajun

Sergeant of Marines
Thanks for the review. A wise gorilla once gave me this piece of information: buy 3 of the same cigar, smoke 1 if you like it you have 2 more, if you don't like it you have 2 more to try and change your initial opinion, if you still don't like it you have 1 to give to someone.

IslandRick

ChestBeater
I smoke a lot of Gs and I'm wondering if you didn't just get a bad one or one that was poorly stored. I would try a couple more. I wouldn't base a review on just one stick. Just my :2. Hope this helps.

Rick
:cb

Costa

Cohibo Aficionado
I bought a box of 10 of the Series G Tubos a few weeks ago. Had one at a cigar bar after dinner on Friday. This may sound weird, but I found it unbelievably light, and I don't mean flavor, I mean weight. It was "ok", but right after I had a La Aurora Preferido #2 Natural (CAMEROON), and the difference between the two in "heft" and enjoyment was unbelievable. Those La Aurora's just don't last long enough :dr

Last edited:

redryno247

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Bro, I'm so sorry to hear this stick went south on you. I hope you don't think I was trying to take you for a ride or anything; as I love the G's. My 2 cents is that maybe you're not quite ready for a med. cigar (which is where I'd say the G falls). Like JaKaAch said, don't totally give up on them...come back to it in several months.

Given your take on the G, I'd wait a while before sparkin' the 5 Vegas A I also gave you...that will likely knock your socks off at this point.

Thanks for posting a pic of the basement, I was wondering how that was coming...looking forward to putting some smoke in the air down there.

If you want, I'd be happy to give back the RP, just let me know.

koolbooy

baTMan
i agree 100% with you, Oliva sucks. every series i tried was boooooooooooooooring, i tried the G twice the O and the V once, i dont plan to buy or smoke any other sticks from Oliva.

i kind of disagree on one thing though, this stick was mild-to medium to me. so im a little surprised you didnt find it mild.

at the end of the day, some enjoy Oliva's and some dont.

good luck on the next one !

tenbaseg

ChestBeater
I had one yesterday and it had such a tight draw that I couldn't smoke it. I tried cutting it back a few times, but nothing helped. It was a lost cause.

Quite the shame, considering that I was really looking forward to a mid-daytona smoke....and I only got 1.

Firridge

Young Ape
Hate to hear the bashing on the Oliva's. In my opinion a darn good smoke for the $. If your looking for an FFOX or a brown label TAT to knock your socks off then the G is not going to do it, but if you want a well maid medium cigar for $3-4's their hard to beat. Try another one before making your final judgement.

BengalMan

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Sorry to hear about your experience. PM me your address and I'll get you some various singles out from our other lines, however, if your a very mild cigar smoker (Macanudo, etc) then the current line of Oliva's may not be your cup of tea.

We are however releasing a Connecticut cigar that is geared towards the mild Macanudo cigar type smoker. This cigar should be released within the next month or so. I'll be sure to send a couple of those your way once I get my samples.

Ian

HeadRush2112

Young Ape
Thanks to everyone who sent me feedback. I will try them again and give it another shot. It could of been bad or it just could of been my taste buds. who knows. in any case thanks. once I do try them again I will let you know my thoughts and tell of the experience.

TO REDRYNO. keep the RP it's no biggy. HR

BengalMan

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Thanks to everyone who sent me feedback. I will try them again and give it another shot. It could of been bad or it just could of been my taste buds. who knows. in any case thanks. once I do try them again I will let you know my thoughts and tell of the experience.

TO REDRYNO. keep the RP it's no biggy. HR
Everyone has different taste buds. There are cigars that I absolutely love and could fathom anyone not liking them, and yet there are plenty of people that hate them. There are others that I cannot stand the smell or taste of, that MANY people think are GREAT.

This is the great thing about cigars, there are so many, that your bound to find the ones that you like. I'd love for you to enjoy Oliva's cigars, but in the end they just may not be your cup of tea, and that's ok.

The best thing to do as a new smoker is try as many variations of cigars as you can and make notes about what you like and don't like. Eventually you'll find some that suit your pallet.

Ill get those sticks out to you at the end of the week when I get back from Michigan.

redryno247

Evolving Lead Gorilla
The best thing to do as a new smoker is try as many variations of cigars as you can and make notes about what you like and don't like. Eventually you'll find some that suit your pallet.
That's good advice! I've found it interesting how just by trying as many different cigars as possible, my tastes have grown and developed in such a short amount of time. Keep at it HR :ss

shilala

Elder Jungle Leader
I found Oliva natural G's to be just plain boring.
Dball hooked me up with a Special G Maduro (because he saw my words on the natural G) and it was a very nice little smoke. It had some stuff going on and was a lot of fun.
It wasn't earthshattering, but it was exactly what it was supposed to be. A little, cute, fun smoke that I'll definately smoke again.