Reviewing the factories on Calle Ocho

Texan in Mexico

Lowland Gorilla
So I’m in Miami for work again and could not resist the urge to head over to the Gloria de la Cubana and Pepin factories again. As usual my credit card comes out smoldering.

I always just head back to the hotel but there are lots and lots of little cigar shops on Calle Ocho so I decided to take it upon myself to introduce you Gorillas to these shops little by little!! :r :r, Of course many of you are already familiar with the shops but they are new to me and I thought it might be interesting for those who have never been.

Today I walked across the street to “El Titan De Bronze Cigar Mfg. Co.” and bought four sticks – 2 Gran Reserva Maduros and 2 Redemption Sun Grown Havanas. The band says Hand Made Little Havana, Miami.

I have chosen the Gran Reserva Maduros for a quick review.

It caught my attention that I was told that all of their cigars are stored for three months before they are set out for sale to the public.

Wrapper:

Some plume on the wrapper, brownish black color, and several veins, firm to the touch and well wrapped. The end of the stick is uneven and oblong with compressed tobacco at one side and less on the other, flecks of tobacco are missing and it looks jagged.

Light tobacco aroma.

The cigar lit right up with lots of good, white smoke.

First third:

Lots of smoke, white ash and the burn started off uneven but quickly recovered to straighten out.

The taste is bland, there is the tobacco taste that I like but it is very bland. I find myself watching the planes take off and land over at the airport more than the cigar itself – a very bland first third.

Second third:

Hints of black licorice come and go – not constant – lots of smoke and white ash continues.

My enthusiasm for the Odyssey has begun to wane. This stick has the superficial qualities I like, nice, white ash – lots of billowing white smoke but the taste is just not there.

Last third:

More of the same. Very light licorice taste that comes and goes.

I have been trying to place this stick, compare it to something known and I believe I have it. This cigar is very similar the Mexican Te Amo. Not a resounding recommendation by any stretch of the imagination and it just really fell below my expectations.

I had hopes that since their factory is right in front of La Gloria and the Pepin factory I could expect something similar but no – not even close.

So there you have it.

I will be back up here in a couple months and will seek out a new cigar and factory to share with all of you!

Last edited:

GWN

Take off, eh?
Thanks for the review.
Calle Ocho is on my to do list. I'll get there one of these days.
in the meantime, a co-worker is headed for Miami this month and was I thinking of asking her to pick up a box or two for me. How do prices there compare to typical online retail prices, especially at Pepin's shop?

Texan in Mexico

Lowland Gorilla
Thanks for the review.
Calle Ocho is on my to do list. I'll get there one of these days.
in the meantime, a co-worker is headed for Miami this month and was I thinking of asking her to pick up a box or two for me. How do prices there compare to typical online retail prices, especially at Pepin's shop?
To be honest I think it is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. I have seen where Calle Ocho prices are higher than what you will find on the internet and vice versa but there are a couple Pepins that are not offered outside of the shop. One of the blends is incredible and I would rate at full-plus, its a real kicker.

If you are not familiar with the factories there I have been a few times now and would be more than happy to give you my impression on anything.

genezawis

Maturing Primate
Visited Calle Ocho last month. Next time your there make sure to visit Art District Cigars at 1638 SW 8th Street. It's got a bar and smoking lounge (live music some nights).

Had a Pergamino Churchill there; good medium smoke. I have not been able to find it at my local B&Ms.

duckmanco

Evolving Lead Gorilla
Great post! I was in calle ocho for an afternoon on a guys trip to Miami and Key West and fell in love with Little Havana. The second I got out of the rental van, I felt completely transported to what felt like a different country. We got there right at lunch time and there cubans everywhere smoking cigars, drinking coffee and talking. The music, mixed with the aroma of cigars was intoxicating. I could have spent 2 or 3 days scouring that place just to see it all. Stopped at ERDLH and El Credito of course and saw some of the rollers at ERDLH putting some bands on the San Cristobal. My lunch of a cuban sandwich, fried plaintains, and 2 cuban coffee's ran me 6.00 with tip. Cannot wait to go back down there.

Texan in Mexico

Lowland Gorilla
Hey thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! I will try and swing by tonight, if not next time through.

Really, really appreciate the tip!

Travis