shipping to Canada and duties

DCMD

Maturing Primate
So I have a buddy in the USA that wanted to send me some cigars as a gift. :tu

Which is pretty sweet since cigars are so bloody epensive up north due to the exorbitant tax (I guess we have to pay for the healthcare system somehow). :hn

I wanted to ask the brothers of the jungle if there is any method of shipping them so that I will not get slapped across the face with a massive import duty on gifted cigars. Anybody how how they should be labeled or shipped?

Thanks in advance.

mo

coryj

Gorilla
They could be labeled as a gift worth $10. Maybe he could use the ebay trick and write "cigar bands" as the contents... I don't condone doing any of this though, as it is illegal to falsify a customs form.

Last edited:

Darrell

C is for cookie
They should be labeled as a gift worth $10. Maybe he could use the ebay trick and write "cigar bands" as the contents...
That's a great idea, but what happens when Customs opens the box and finds sticks in there, not just bands? What kind of trouble could each party involved find themselves in? I don't know, so I am curious.

coryj

Gorilla
That's a great idea, but what happens when Customs opens the box and finds sticks in there, not just bands? What kind of trouble could each party involved find themselves in? I don't know, so I am curious.
I think the consequences would be him paying more taxes. Its a tricky (morally) situation... You could always try to hide them by wrapping something else around them (for example, list "T-shirts" on the package and put 1-2 shirts around the cigars... they probably wont tear the whole package apart even if they open it), really depends how shady you want to be about it.

Obviously, I don't condone doing any of this...

K Baz

Paid Smokesmodel
I have recieved items form the US labelled as cigars however the shipper was kind enough to mark them as a gift with a value of $ 10.00 as such I did not pay a cent.

Usually, and I believe, taxes are percentages of the value of the item if the item is of low or no value usually they don't bother collecting the tax.

Now if they ship you 7 boxes I dount they will believe the value is $ 10.00 but if its 5 sticks it is possible.

Old Sailor

BOSUN - S.O.B. MEMBER
I think Headcrash has it covered by a PM....Well done Alex.

ps...mark it anything but cigar related or it will be opened.

DCMD

Maturing Primate
Thanks for all the help guys. I should have mentioned that the best way to respond would be by pm.

I was just curious as I have had retail packages arrive which miraculously made it through the line of fire unscathed. Thanks for all the help.

japhi

Young Ape
Hate to bump old threads but I couldn't find any more info via a search...

My questios is: If a box from the states is opened, what percentage of duties are applied? Let's say I buy $100 in smokes from the US - can anyone tell me from experience what the approximate duty fee would be?

shaggy

Old School S.O.B.
Hate to bump old threads but I couldn't find any more info via a search...

My questios is: If a box from the states is opened, what percentage of duties are applied? Let's say I buy $100 in smokes from the US - can anyone tell me from experience what the approximate duty fee would be?
average of 15 bucks a stick

the nub

Papa Chino
If there isn't a receipt enclosed, they assess a value to the contents. For BC it's approximately 200% of the assessed value. That cost includes, GST, PST, duty and excise and handling fee. The formula is very convoluted.

If they assess the contents at $4/stick for a box of 25 you can expect to pay roughly $200.