Te Amo - Vintage 99

Texan in Mexico

Lowland Gorilla
I try to do something different when I post, I try to add something new or maybe just a new perspective on an old topic.

So here goes - a Mexican CEE-GAR!!!

I am running low on sticks so I went to a new smoke shop that opened up down the road from my office.

Pretty much what you would expect down here, fifteen varieties of Te Amo plus some boxes of a new blend produced by Te Amo in conjunction with A. Fuente I think.

I was interested but at 110$ usd for a box of 20 (they will not sell singles) I was able to keep my pesos in my wallet.

So back to the task at hand:

I picked up a Te Amo Vintage 99
Cost = 65 pesos or about 6$ usd

Size: 6x50 Toro
Wrapper: Mexico
Binder: Mexico
Filler: Dominican Republic, Mexico, Nicaragua
Body: Medium
Strength: Mild

Drink of choice: a glass of water and Dr Pepper
Cutter: Palio

I let the cigar sit for about three weeks before I tried it.

The wrapper is light tan and brown. Very firm to the touch. It is a well constructed stick - typical Mexican construction - many veins present as well.

The wrapper has a light tobacco smell to it and has a peppery taste to it.

Cut was clean and easy and it lit right up, no hassles in lighting.

Upon lighting, lots of acrid smoke and immediate pitting and canoeing at the tip.

After a few puffs it settled down and produced a medium amount of smoke and a white, grey ash.

First third - light peppery taste and a surprisingly even burn.

The ash held very well and lasted well into the second third.

Second third - there were two full pulls of deep, rich cocoa and then it was gone! It was replaced by light delicate essences of nothing...

Last third - a little more pepper and and a few puffs gave me a nutty flavor.

Burn time = 35 minutes +/-

I know Mexican cigars do not have a good reputation and there are many valid reasons for this. What I see, from having lived down here, is that the cigars are well made, the tobacco quality is ok but they do not take care of the sticks in transport or in the stores.

They are trucked in hot, humid, dry, cold conditions with no protection for the sticks for the most part.

They arrive at stores and are left in the open to the conditions.

So there is my review, again, a sub-par stick - not a Cremosa by any stretch of the imagination but just an ok stick.

Again, I really think if there was a better quality control process set up down here they could produce some fine sticks but I do not see this happening in the near future.

Thanks for reading my review!

Travis

andrewsutherland2002

Real Men Cut Lusis in 1/2
I've always wanted to try a Te-Amo but have been leary. I hear mixed reviews on these things. Even online retailers advertise that a lot of people don't like them. Thanks for the review. I now know that they are not complete dog rockets, just not great. I may still try one one day.

oldforge

Gorilla
Nice review. And because of it, I will try one. Thanks.
The Cremosa Churchill is the _only_ worse cigar I have ever had. So if you are going to buy one get a Cremosa and do a comparison review. Take pictures, and you could start another legendary thread around here.

:)